Protect Your Home From Burglars With These 10 Steps
As we come to the end of another year and people head off on holiday, it is important that you take the relevant precautions to ensure that you protect your property.
- Make that all doors and windows are locked and closed properly at night and when you are away from your home.Ensure that doors and windows have adequate locking mechanisms.
- Glass sliding doors provide easy access into your home.Secure your sliding doors in the following ways:
· Place a metal rod or a piece of wood in the track.
· Install vertical bolts.These will help prevent burglars from forcing the door open or lifting it off the track.
4. Eliminate hiding places around your property by keeping shrubs and plants trimmed near entrances and windows.
5. Make sure that the exterior of your property is well lit. Floodlights with motion detection around the perimeter are a good deterrent that will not break the bank..
6. Create the illusion that you are home by using timers on lights, radios and TV’s. Making your residence appear occupied, even when no one is home, will deter criminals.
7. If you are going on holiday, suspend subsciptions that you may have and arrange with a family member or neighbour to collect mail, and make arrangements to have the lawn cut.
8. Keep curtains or blinds closed in areas with expensive items.
9. Don’t not ever leave a key under the doormat, plant pot etc. near the front door. give a key to a family member or neighbour and ask them to check up on the house a few times a week.
10. Don’t leave a message announcing travel plans on the answering machine, e-mail auto-responder, or on social media sites. Do let your security company know.
Consider a professionally monitored home security system from one of the top alarm companies. It will greatly reduce the odds of an attempted break in.